Tuesday, April 13, 2010

International Flights operators impressions

I am at Ben Gurion airport now, waiting for a delayed flight and this is a good time to share my experience with different companies.

Lets start from the current one, Tarom. Its a Romanian operator and this is the first and the last time I fly with them. The flight is delayed by 5 hours and I am gonna miss my connection at Bucharest, the next one will be in 8 hours which means that I will miss all the meetings planned for me @Munich and will spend one day in airports instead of being with my family. Its the worst experience ever!

Update: The compensation for this nightmare from Tarom side was ... a voucher for one beverage. They can shove the voucher together with the beverage up their ...es.

Next, Elal. I know its our national carrier and I do feel a pinch of pride when I see the colors on its tail, but since they have gone private the service on Elal flights if terrible. For instance, lets compare inflight beverages. While in Lufthansa I can have everything starting from a water and ending with an Irish cream, in Elal its limited to .... water only. And not just water, a stewardess is coming with a family size bottle of water and pouring it, forget about small bottles .... The attitude if stewardess is awful as well. I know that they are used to Israeli barbaric tourists but they forget that not everyone like this, especially not the folks from abroad who sometimes are shocked ... both by the barbaric tourists and "poorly trained (and its an understatement)" stewardesses.
The latest invention from the cheap bastards at Elal are the "Priority Seats". Every seat that a tall person like me can stretch its feet is labeled with "Priority" sign and to get that seat you have pay extra 50 dollars. I did not see this in any other company I fly with, and I fly a lot. This leads me to the spacing between the rows in economy class ... It looks like it was designed for people with extra short legs. Maybe whoever decided on this has some issues with average and tall people, I do not know.

Now for the good companies.

Lufthansa. Once at HongKong the plane broke down. All the passengers where sent to an airport hotel (which was very good) with appologies, free meals and etc. Later when I boarded they've upgraded me to business as a compensation for the delay .... (Did I say already I wll not flight Tarom ever again ?)
Did you know that when they offer you a drink you can order Baileys and will actually get it for you ?

Turkish Airlines. On long flights they give you a personal kit with toothbrush, socks and etc, even in economy class ... If there is a connection more than 10 hours they offer you a hotel in Instanbul so you could rest (you have to know it ofcourse ...)

Austrian Airlines. The food is delicious. Lots of toys and attention for small children.

There are more but I do not remember. Will update this list when possible.

2 comments:

  1. why the fuck you fly to Munich with Tarom via Bucharest???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ... I needed a three days trip to come back on time for my birthday. This was the most convenient option ... I regret it ofcourse.

    ReplyDelete